Father to the fatherless, defender of widows — this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families.

Psalm 68:5-6

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Meeting Our Princess - 3/24/11

I could hardly believe we were finally in Haiti! Just moments away from meeting our Princess. I had butterflies in my tummy... both from excitement and nervousness. Would she like us? Would we know how to take care of her? So many questions, so many unknowns. My head was spinning as I shockingly watched all that was going on in the streets of Port-au-Prince leading to Kingdom of Kid's Orphanage. Then the truck came to a stop... this was it. Our baby girl was inside that building. At that point I was just going through the motions... not quite sure what to feel. My emotions were going crazy!


We helped carry in several heavy bags... by the time we were done I knew we had gone up a few flights of stairs but wasn't quite sure where we were. I couldn't get back to the front entrance if I had to! There were lots of children peeping at us from every direction. Most of the other parent's that had come with us were already talking with their children that they were adopting. The other children were older and had come to the airport to greet their parents. My husband and I just stood there at the top of the stairs looking around. Everyone seemed busy. We couldn't speak creole and even if we could we had no idea who to speak to. A young girl came up the stairs a few minutes later. I pointed to myself and said "Mama Esther" and then said "Esther?" in a questioning voice. She immediately turned around and disappeared. Dana looked at me as if to say "I hope she is going to get her for us". 


Words cannot describe what happened in the next few moments. The same young girl came back up the stairs but this time she was holding the most precious little bundle. She leaned over and placed this sweet sweet child in my arms. She fit ever so perfectly. It was as if she had always been there. She was right where she belonged. My eyes filled with tears. I'm pretty sure her Daddy's did too. I hope at that moment Esther knew she was loved! 



No comments:

Post a Comment